Monday, January 31, 2011

With great regret I admit hunting season 2010/11 is coming to an end.  February and March are fairly useless months, the only positive is I am able to use the down-time to reacquaint myself with my family!  Since the marsh was an ice rink, late duck season was spent on the Arkansas River.  



After a couple of scouting trips, we found good numbers of birds concentrated in a bend of the river.  We were able to fashion a blind using cedar branches on a sandbar.  The river was mostly frozen (just like my hands), but had a few current channels open and some open slack water near our sandbar which we appropriately named “Miss Island”.  For the most part the weather cooperated with cloudy skies and even light flurries.


 

I hate to admit, but Miss Island earned its name due to the fact it took 3 boxes of shells to get a limit on day two.


No comments:

Post a Comment